6.22.2010

Le Freak C'est Chic

Le Freak - Chic

Happy Birthday - Stevie Wonder

S.O.S. - ABBA

Untouchable Face - Ani DiFranco

Oops, I Did it Again - Britney Spears

The Jean Genie - David Bowie

U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer

Wannabe - Spice Girls

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

Jenifa (Taught Me) - De La Soul

I'm Your Boogie Man - KC and the Sunshine Band

Psycho Killer - Talking Heads

Rehab - Amy Winehouse


"She didn't classify herself as 'eclectic,' knowing that the mere self-classification of 'eclectic' musical tastes meant one's tastes were, in fact, anything but."


I made a playlist for Very LeFreak, Rachel Cohn's latest book, about a redheaded college girl who's wired 24/7 and ends up in rehab for her so-called "technology addiction." All these songs or artists are directly mentioned in the book as part of Very's constant need to bond with her iPod.


This one got a lot of disappointing reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, and I think part of it is that Rachel Cohn's—and in this case, Very's—hyper-verbal-pop-culture style weirds people out. I, however, dig it. Especially because it fits perfectly with this character who's all about MORE, NOW, AGAIN, just like that Elizabeth Wurtzel book (which I haven't read). I didn't always feel that the story was so realistic, and Very is certainly not a lovable character, but I think that's part of the beauty of it. Also, the book made me think about how many dang times I check Gmail, Facebook, Twitter and Google Reader like every hour when I'm home. At least for now I am sans smartphone. Going online on my cell is possible but not so super-easy that it's become a problem.


Also also: Very is not just an over-sharer slash online-shopper. She's a computer programmer who created her own social network. And a party-planner, and a flash mob-organizer...

1 comments:

Jen said...

I really appreciate hearing your opinion of this. Based on most of the reviews of the book, and the hype leading up to it, I was prepared to let it fade from my radar.

I think you've convinced me to check it out from the library. =)